Ways To Make Communication With A Person With Dementia More Meaningful For Everyone...
1. Before you speak to a person with dementia, make sure you have gained their attention.
2. Look directly at the person, make eye contact and
introduce yourself even if you have met before.
3. Speak clearly and simply.
4. Use short sentences. Keep what you are saying short
and to the point.
5. Wait for a response, allow time for your words to be
6. For good communication words alone may not be
enough. Show the person with dementia what you
mean. Your tone of voice, volume, body language and
facial expressions also send a message every time you
7. People with dementia are often easily distracted by
both sights and sounds. A quiet place sometimes make
8. Be patient and always remember that there is a person behind the dementia.