Interesting Facts About Dementia
1. Dementia is not a normal part of ageing. It is caused by a variety of brain illnesses that affect memory, reasoning, behaviour, communication and social skills.
2. Dementia is a progressive condition. At present there is no cure for this illness however, research is ongoing and great advancements are being made all the time.
3. There are many forms of dementia, the most common is Alzheimer’s Disease.
4. 35.6 million people live with dementia worldwide. 47,000 people live with dementia in Ireland. 1,011 people live with dementia in South Tipperary
5. The number of people with dementia is expected to double by 2031 and may treble by 2041.
6. Physical exercise may help to lower the risk of some types of dementia.
7. Everyone can help to protect their brain with some of the same strategies that protect the heart. Don't smoke, keep blood pressure low and ensure that cholesterol and blood sugars stay within recommended limits.
8. A Mediterranean diet may also help protect the brain. A Mediterranean diet emphasises whole grains, fruit, vegetables, fish and shellfish, nuts, olive oil and other healthy fats.
9. Given a diagnosis of dementia, it is very important to know that it is possible to live a full, enriched and happy life with the right information, supports and services.